Effective Governance Practice
Unpack the roles, responsibilities
and liabilities of school board members
School Board and Council Members from ISV Member Schools
School Board Governance
1 day in-person, or 4 online sessions.
Online or in-person
Free of charge
School Board Members are faced with myriad challenges as they navigate the role and responsibilities associated with governing a school.
To make this less daunting, Independent Schools Victoria (ISV) has been offering school governance training for almost two decades.
In 2023, we offered a refreshed format of our major governance training.
School Board and Council members can now attend a one-day forum in-person at ISV, or you can attend our Twilight Seminar Series held over four online sessions. Both cover the same content.
“This is a must for all board members.”
— Previous participant
Online: Twilight Seminar Series
The Twilight Seminar Series covers the same content as the in-person Governance Forum, but is held over four separate sessions.
Session 1: Introduction to School Boards
- Role and responsibilities of the Board
- Board structure
- Indicators of good governance
- Key issues impacting Independent schools
Session 2: Governance vs Management
- Role of the Chair
- Role of the Principal
- The relationship between the Principal and the Board
- The distinction between governance and management
Session 3: Governance and Risk Management
- Risk governance structures
- Risk assessment processes
- Role and responsibilities
- Supporting resources
Session 4: Understanding Board Responsibilities
- Financial literacy for Boards
- Financial sustainability and solvency
- Legal obligations for Board Members
- Compliance versus accountability
- Communicating in a crisis
- Better understand your governance roles and responsibilities
- Learn how to manage a crisis in your school
- Understand your risk management obligations
- Unpack the role requirements of the Chair and the Principal
- Examine the financial literacy required to meet your governance obligations
- Explore key issues that your school is likely to encounter in the coming 12 months.
“As a relatively new Board member, I have come away with a much better appreciation of my role.”
— Previous participant
Executive Support Manager
Independent Schools Victoria