Victorian Government Capital Grants
The Victorian Government Non-Government Schools Capital Fund 2019-20 to 2022-23 is providing $402 million to help build and upgrade Catholic and Independent schools in Victoria, with approximately $120 million available for the Independent sector over the four rounds of funding.
To be eligible to apply, a school must be a participant, or prospective participant, in the Victorian Independent Schools Block Grant Authority (VIS BGA).
Grants may be allocated across four project categories:
- Building new schools in areas of Victoria experiencing significant enrolment demand
- Expanding capacity at existing schools in areas of Victoria experiencing significant enrolment demand
- Upgrading facilities in existing schools according to need (includes the replacement of existing relocatable classrooms)
- Planned removal of asbestos and/or dangerous cladding.
Projects in category 1 and 2 must have a construction period of 18 months or less, and schools may apply for a maximum grant of $5 million.
Projects in category 3 and 4 must have a construction period of 12 months or less, and schools may apply for a maximum grant of $2 million.
Schools may not receive more than one grant over the four rounds of funding for a project in category 1, 2 or 3. Schools may be eligible to receive a separate grant for a project in category 4 that solely addresses cladding and/or asbestos issues as part of a planned removal process.
Applications must be submitted online through the Department of Education and Training’s SmartyGrants system, where they will be assessed by both the VIS BGA and the Department against the criteria below. Applications that best meet the criteria will be prioritised for funding.
For further details, please see the Operational Guidelines as published by the Victorian Government Department of Education and Training, available in ‘Links, resources and downloads’, below.
Timelines for each round of the Fund are set out below:
The application and assessment process will be the same each year and will follow the broad timeline below:
Applications are now open for Round 2 of the Victorian Government Non-Government Schools Capital Fund.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE ON FRIDAY 6 March 2020.
Schools in areas of Victoria experiencing significant population growth may apply for grants between $50,000 and $5 million for building new schools and expanding capacity at existing schools.
Schools in other areas may apply for grants between $50,000 and $2 million to upgrade existing facilities.
Schools are expected to co-contribute at least 20% of total project costs.
To apply for funding:
- Schools must be a participant, or prospective participant, of the Victorian Independent Schools Block Grant Authority (VIS BGA).
- Schools must register and apply online through Victorian Government SmartyGrants.
- Applications must address the assessment criteria, with applications assessed as best meeting the criteria to be prioritised for funding.
- Schools must complete Part B: BGA Excel Application, available below.
- The school’s architect or design consultant must complete Part C: Application Feasibility Report, guidelines available below.
- Part B and Part C must be uploaded into the SmartyGrants system along with the following attachments:
- 2018 audited accounts
- 2019 final management accounts (subject to audit)
- 2020 fee schedule
- Signed lease agreement or copy of land title
- Certificate of currency – property and PL insurance
- Building and grounds maintenance policy
- School history and philosophy
- Memorandum of understanding with professional consultant (template available below)
- Signed declaration (template available below, to be copied on school letterhead)
Note: Schools will be prompted to upload these documents on the last page of the SmartyGrants application.
Schools are encouraged to consult the Operational Guidelines as published by the Victorian Government Department of Education and Training prior to submitting an application, particularly with regard to the eligibility requirements outlined on page 3. These Guidelines are available in the ‘Links, resources and downloads’ section below.
Schools will need a password to access the excel file (Part B). If your school has not received a password, please contact Rhiannon Matthews on (03) 9825 7214.
For schools that were unable to attend the Capital Funding Briefing held at ISV in August 2019, a copy of the presentation is available in isConnect. The presentation provides an overview of capital funding available through both the Victorian Government Non-Government Schools Capital Fund and the Australian Government Capital Grants Program.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.