Victorian Government Capital Grants
The Victorian Government Non-Government Schools Capital Fund 2019-20 to 2022-23 will provide $402 million to help build and upgrade Catholic and Independent schools in Victoria, with approximately $120 million available for the Independent sector during the four-year period.
To be eligible to apply, a non-government school must be a participant, or prospective participant, in the Victorian Independent Schools Block Grant Authority (VIS BGA).
Grants may be allocated across two project categories:
- Building new schools and expanding capacity at existing schools in areas experiencing significant enrolment demand
- Projects must have a construction period of 18 months or less
- Maximum grant of $5 million may be awarded to Category 1 projects
- Upgrading facilities in existing schools according to need
- Projects must have a construction period of 12 months or less
- Maximum grant of $2 million may be awarded to Category 2 projects
- The removal of dangerous cladding and/or asbestos can be considered as a separate project under this category.
Schools may not receive more than one grant over the four rounds of funding for a capital development project. Schools may be eligible to receive a separate grant for a project that solely addresses cladding and/or asbestos issues as part of a planned removal process.
Applications must be submitted online through the Department of Education and Training’s SmartyGrants system, where they will be assessed by both the VIS BGA and the Department against the criteria below. Applications that best meet the criteria will be prioritised for funding.
For further details, please see the Operational Guidelines as published by the Victorian Government Department of Education and Training, available in Links, Resources and Downloads.
Timelines for each round of the Fund are set out below:
The application and assessment process will be the same each year and will follow the broad timeline below:
Applications for the next round of the Victorian Government Non-Government Schools Capital Fund, for projects commencing in the 2021 calendar year, will open at the end of January 2020 and close on Friday 6 March 2020.
Schools wishing to apply will need to submit an application through the Victorian Government SmartyGrants portal. A link to the portal will be provided here when applications open.
To apply for funding,
- Schools will need to complete the application on SmartyGrants. A preview of the application is available in the resources section below to assist schools in preparing for the online submission.
- Schools must complete Part B: BGA Excel Application, template and guidelines available below.
- The school’s architect or design consultant must complete Part C: Application Feasibility Report, guidelines available below.
- Part B and Part C must be uploaded into the SmartyGrants system (when applications open) along with the following documents:
- 2018 Audited Accounts
- 2019 Final Management Accounts
- 2020 Fee Schedule
- Signed Lease Agreement or copy of Land Title for the site of the proposed project
- Certificates of Currency – Property and PL Insurance
- Building & Grounds Maintenance Policy
- School History and Philosophy
- Copy of school’s master plan
- Memorandum of Understanding with Professional Consultant (template available below)
- Signed Declaration (template available below, to be copied on school letterhead)
Schools are encouraged to consult the Operational Guidelines as published by the Victorian Government Department of Education and Training prior to submitting an application, particularly with regard to the eligibility requirements outlined on page 3. These Guidelines are available in the resources section below.
Schools will need a password to access the excel file (Part B). If your school has not received a password, please contact Rhiannon Matthews on (03) 9825 7214.
For schools that were unable to attend the Capital Funding Briefing held at ISV in August 2019, a copy of the presentation is available on isConnect. The presentation provides an overview of capital funding available through both the Victorian Government Non-Government Schools Capital Fund and the Australian Government Capital Grants Program.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.