Victorian Government Capital Grants
Applications for the next round of funding, for projects commencing in 2022, close on Friday 5 March 2021.
The Victorian Government Non-Government Schools Capital Fund 2019-20 to 2022-23 is providing $402 million to help build and upgrade Catholic and Independent schools in Victoria, with approximately $120 million available for the Independent sector over the four rounds of funding.
To be eligible to apply, a school must be a participant, or prospective participant, in the Victorian Independent Schools Block Grant Authority (VIS BGA).
Grants may be allocated across four project categories:
- Building new schools in areas of Victoria experiencing significant enrolment demand
- Expanding capacity at existing schools in areas of Victoria experiencing significant enrolment demand
- Upgrading facilities in existing schools according to need (includes the replacement of existing relocatable classrooms)
- Planned removal of asbestos and/or dangerous cladding.
Projects in category 1 and 2 must have a construction period of 18 months or less, and schools may apply for a maximum grant of $5 million.
Projects in category 3 and 4 must have a construction period of 12 months or less, and schools may apply for a maximum grant of $2 million.
Schools may not receive more than one grant over the four rounds of funding for a project in category 1, 2 or 3. Schools may be eligible to receive a separate grant for a project in category 4 that solely addresses cladding and/or asbestos issues as part of a planned removal process.
Applications must be submitted online through the Department of Education and Training’s SmartyGrants system, where they will be assessed by both the VIS BGA and the Department against the criteria below. Applications that best meet the criteria will be prioritised for funding.
For further details, please see the Operational Guidelines as published by the Victorian Government Department of Education and Training, available in ‘Links, resources and downloads’, below.
Timelines for each round of the Fund are set out below:
The application and assessment process will be the same each year and will follow the broad timeline below:
Applications for the next round of the Victorian Government Non-Government Schools Capital Fund, for projects commencing in the 2022 calendar year, open at the end of January 2021 and will close on Friday 5 March 2021.
Schools wishing to apply must submit their application through the Victorian Government SmartyGrants portal. A link to the portal will be provided here on the website when applications open.
To apply for funding:
- Schools will need to complete the application on SmartyGrants. A sample application is available in the resources section below to assist schools in preparing for the SmartyGrants submission.
- Schools must complete Part B: BGA Excel Application, template and instructions available below.
(The file is protected. If your school has not received the password, please contact Rhiannon Matthews.)
- The school’s architect or design consultant must complete Part C: Application Feasibility Report, guidelines available below.
- Part B and Part C must be uploaded into the SmartyGrants system (when applications open) along with the following documents:
- Audited Accounts 2019
- Final Management Accounts 2020
- Fee Schedule 2021
- Copy of Land Title for the site of the proposed project (if owned) or copy of signed lease agreement (if leasing)
- Certificates of Currency – Property and Public Liability Insurance
- Building & Grounds Maintenance Policy
- School History and Philosophy
- School site plan with key identifying the history of the development of the school site (i.e. in what year facilities were developed)
- Memorandum of Understanding with Professional Consultant to oversee the project (available below)
- Signed Declaration (available below, to be copied on school letterhead)
Schools are encouraged to consult the Program Guidelines (available below) as published by the Victorian Government Department of Education and Training before applying, particularly with regard to the eligibility requirements outlined on page 5.
For schools that were unable to attend the Capital Funding Briefing held at ISV in September 2020, a copy of the presentation is available in isConnect. The presentation provides an overview of capital funding available through both the Victorian Government Non-Government Schools Capital Fund and the Australian Government Capital Grants Program.
For information relating to the Australian Government Capital Grants Program, please visit the CGP webpage.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us (contact details provided below).
DownloadsVISBGA Part B Excel Application (password required) Memorandum of Understanding re. Role of Independent Consultant VISBGA Application Declaration Form Vic Govt Non-Government Schools Capital Fund - Program Guidelines DET SmartyGrants Application - Sample Preview Instructions for Completing Part B BGA Excel Application Part C Application Feasibility Report - Guidelines School Maintenance Policy & Plan - Guidelines Project Elements and Cost Standards - Guidelines
If you have any queries, please contact:
Manager, Capital Funding
(03) 9825 7239
Manager Grants Administration VISBGA
(03) 9825 7218
Program Officer VISBGA
(03) 9825 7214