Information and links to assist schools to manage and prepare for the potential impact of the Coronavirus on operations, staff, students, and the community.
The following information and links to external resources are designed to assist Member Schools to manage and prepare for the potential impact of the Coronavirus on their operations, their staff and students, and the wider school community.
It outlines their obligations, provides advice and links to the relevant government agencies which are the best sources of information.
Schools should be aware that government advice is being updated regularly and can change from day-to-day. While we will try to keep this information current, this might not always be possible.
As well as these resources, we will communicate directly to schools via email and memos in the event of significant developments.
An important document for schools:
- Protocols for schools in the event of a suspected or confirmed coronavirus case
These protocols were prepared in consultation between ISV, representatives of Catholic Education, and the Victorian Department of Education and Training.
Please click on LINKS AND DOWNLOADS below to find the Protocols and other important documents, links and resources.
Yes – under the provisions of the Occupational Health & Safety Act 2004 (Vic), the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic) and the Education and Training Reform Regulations 2017 (Vic).
Under Victorian occupational health and safety law, employers have an obligation to provide and maintain a safe workplace. This obligation extends to all people at the workplace, whether they are employees or not.
- Continue to monitor the advice from the Australian and Victorian governments
- Review the school’s emergency management plan
- Ensure that communications to parents, students and staff are clear and timely
- Prepare for the possibility of high absenteeism from large numbers of students and staff
- Review the school’s capacity to deliver online learning to students
- Review the school’s business continuity plan
- Make appropriate arrangements for international students
You may be in breach of the Occupational Health & Safety Act 2004 (Vic).
You may also be in breach of the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic.) and the Education and Training Reform Regulations 2007 (Vic.). Non-compliance with the minimum standards for school registration could result in the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA):
- imposing conditions on a school’s registration
- prohibiting a school from enrolling any new students
- requiring the school to report its non-compliance to parents
- suspending, cancelling or imposing conditions on a school’s registration.
Your reputation could be affected.
Australian Government websites
- Department of Education, Skills and Employment:
- Department of Education, Skills and Employment: Early Childhood and Care Relief Package
- Australian Government Department of Health:
- Australian Government, Treasury:
- Australian Government, National Health and Medical Research Council:
- Australian Taxation Office:
Victorian Government Websites
- Victorian Department of Health and Human Services:
- Victorian DET:
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for early childhood services
- Funding for Four-year sessional kindergartens remains unchanged. The State Government has also announced support for unfunded three-year kindergarten programs – full information can be found here
- Learning from home in an early childhood setting
- Educator to child ratios
- Educator to child ratios for funded kindergarten programs
- Early childhood teacher centre-based services
- Health and hygiene in early childhood education and care services
- Video/learning module: School and Early Childhood Infection Prevention and Control During Coronavirus (COVID-19)
DownloadsDET: COVID Safe Routine Cleaning Guidelines DHHS/DET: Guidance for Independent Schools with Positive COVID cases DHHS: How to Wear and Care for a Mask ISV: Social distancing in early childhood education services Victorian Chief Health Officer message to Victorian schools and their communities, April 2021 Vic DET: Advice - Managing Risks of COVID-19 Transmission in School Boarding Premises (January 2021) Vic DET: Advice on medical vulnerability Vic DET: Assessment Guidance for Remote and Flexible Learning Vic DET: Communications for School Boarding Houses and Medium Term Residential Programs Vic DET: Coronavirus School Closure – Reactive Comms Pack (Highlighted Areas for Non-Govt Amendments) Vic DET: COVID-19 Health and Safety Advice Vic DET: COVID-19 Risk Assessment and Mitigation Planning Template for School Boarding Premises (January 2021) Vic DET: COVID-19 Safety Management Plan (COVIDSafe Plan) Vic DET: Excursions, Attendance and Contract Tracing Template Vic DET: Face Covering Posters Vic DET: Guidance for the use of PPE in Education Settings, updated 17 June 2021 Vic DET: Guide for Semester Two Student Reports Vic DET: Parent Consent Contract Tracing Form Vic DET: Physical Distancing Poster Vic DET: Roadmap to Return to On-site Teaching and Learning Vic DET: School Operations Guide, Wednesday 21 July 2021 Vic DET: Stay at Home if you are Unwell Poster Vic DET: When to use a Face Covering Poster Victorian Government: Managing Illness in Schools and Early Childhood Services
DownloadsAustralian Government DESE: Schools HUB - COVID19 Factsheet_Condition on approval_9 April 2020 COVID-19 Early Childhood Support Resources COVID-19 Early Childhood Stage 3 Restrictions: Regional Victoria (including Mitchell Shire) COVID-19 Early Childhood Stage 4 Restrictions: Melbourne Metropolitan Services COVID-19 ECEC Stage 4 Restrictions: On-Site Attendance Form Letter: Victorian Minister of Education to VRQA, 14 April 2020 Ministerial Direction: Attendance, 14 April 2020
This section contains useful content in the form of exemplars, templates and relevant links for schools.
Downloadable resources are located in isConnect for Member School access.
ISV: Student support discussion and resource space on isLearn
DownloadsAdvice regarding Choirs, Instrumental Music and Ensembles Example Letter 1: Return to On-site Learning Example Letter 1: Confirmed Coronavirus Case Example Letter 1: Exposure Tests, School Closed Temporarily Example Letter 1: Update on Confirmed Coronavirus Case Example Letter 1: Additional Confirmed Case(s) Notifying of a Positive COVID-19 Case in an ECEC Service Return to On-site Learning Example Checklist 1 Return to On-site Learning Example Checklist 2
Australian Government, eSafety Commissioner: COVID-19: Tips on how to stay safe online during the COVID-19 pandemic
Going Digital: Making digital ways of working, work!
ISV: Remote Learning – curated digital forums on isLearn
Victorian Department of Education and Training: Learning from home
DownloadsCommunications to Parents - Minister Tehan offer to non-government schools - 29 April 2020 Example Letter 1 (to Parents): Virtual Classroom Protocols Example Letter 2 (to Staff): Virtual Classroom Protocols Letter from Vic CHO to Secretary Vic DET Member School Example Agreement 1: Remote Learning Member School Example Zoom Guidelines For Teachers 1 Member School Example Procedure 1: Zoom iPad App: How to Authenticate
ISV has reached an agreement with Cleaning Melbourne which is offering Member Schools a 40% off discount on standard rates for COVID-19 cleaning services.
Cleaning Melbourne can undertake a ‘deep clean’ at your school to help minimise the risk of infection and contamination. This could include precautionary cleaning and disinfection of high touch point (HTP) areas, sanitisation and thorough deep cleaning of your school facilities, as well as decontamination control.
Click here for more information about this exclusive Member offer.
ISV has secured access for Member Schools to disposable facemasks at cost price – $30 for a box of 50. The normal retail price is $50. Details on how to order these facemasks can be found here.
ISV has negotiated a bulk supply of hand sanitiser with DefendTex.
The hand sanitiser is being provided in 15 litre and 5 litre containers. The liquid format is ideal for hand sanitisation and cleaning of surfaces. It is also ideal for refilling spray dispensers (such as you find in most toilet facilities), and normal spray and wipe bottles. Schools will need to provide their own dispensing equipment.
For more information, refer to:
To place an online order, click here. ISV will consolidate orders daily and send them to DefendTex, who will contact schools directly.