Fetes and other fundraising events within schools require legal and insurance compliance to protect the school and ensure the safety of all who attend.
Yes – if conducting a fundraising activity such as a fete, trivia night or similar activity.
1. Parents’ club/association
- Is it a legal entity?
- Is it able to enter into contracts with commercial operators?
- legal liability
- compensation for personal injury suffered
- working with children check
3. Commercial operators
- written contracts
- indemnity clauses
4. School’s insurance
5. Amusement rides and equipment (acceptability of such items)
- Alcohol consumption requires a temporary license
- Food Handling.
Check with your insurer and check with WorkCover.
You may be the subject of legal action if an incident occurred.
- Vic DET: School Policy and Advisory Guide – Fetes
- Department of Health: Food Safety
- Department of Health: Food Safety Information (includes information on community even requirements under the food safety requirements)
- WorkSafe Victoria website
WorkSafe advisory service: