Developing Deep Level Thinkers – What we Need to Understand about Comprehension
This seminar is right for you if: You are a Foundation to Year 6 Teacher.
ISV Seminar Room
Independent Schools Victoria, 40 Rosslyn Street, West Melbourne VIC 3003
Tuesday, 29 October 2019 – 9:30 am to 3:30 pm
$490 – Member Schools Price (excl. GST)
$600 – Standard Price (excl. GST)
2, 3, 5
This one-day seminar will explore what comprehension is and how it can be explicitly taught. Participants will also explore how to:
- create a comprehensive Prep to Year 6 reading program
- teach deep comprehension and what that means
- plan for small group teaching (explicit instruction)
- revisit the reading process (how do children learn to read)
- improve quality of written and verbal text responses
- use non-fiction in practical ways to enhance and deepen comprehension
- develop a repertoire of practical procedures for teaching comprehension with fiction.
Presenter Information – Deb Sukarna
Deb Sukarna has been a leading educator for 37 years and has presented professional learning programs for Independent, government and Catholic schools. She has worked in the United States of America and has co-authored a number of books on literacy education. In 2011, Deb was the recipient of the ACEL Hedley Beare Educator of the Year Award, and received a Fellowship in Leadership from ACEL in 2014. She has been both a Primary Principal and Principal of a Balinese community school. Deb has recently retired from Ivanhoe Grammar School as Head of Plenty Campus (Prep to Year 12) and Deputy Principal (2004-2016). She has an expertise and passion for literacy and her workshops are based on her own classroom practice from ELC to Year 9.