The Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) has established minimum standards in relation to School Registration.
Yes, under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic) and the Education and Training Reform Regulations 2017 (Vic).
The Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) has established minimum standards and other requirements for school registration.
All schools must comply with the minimum standards and other requirements specified in the Act and its Regulations, and explained in this guide.
The Act specifies that a school must have policies relating to student discipline that are based on principles of fairness and do not permit corporal punishment.
Minimum standards apply for:
- school governance (adherence to democratic principles, the school’s structure, Probity, the school’s philosophy and its not-for-profit status)
- enrolment (enrolment numbers, enrolment policy and the enrolment register)
- curriculum and student learning (the curriculum framework, student learning outcomes and monitoring and reporting on student performance)
- student welfare (the care, safety and welfare of students, Emergency Bushfire Management, student discipline policies and procedures, monitoring of attendance and the attendance register)
- employment of staff (teachers’ requirements and compliance with the )
- school infrastructure (buildings, facilities and grounds and educational facilities).
Other requirements apply for:
- reporting to the VRQA
- information about school performance
- adding a year level
- establishing an additional campus
- changing a school’s type of registration
- changing a school’s location
- changing a school’s particulars.
Certain schools offering a senior secondary qualification – the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) or the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB) – must also meet additional requirements. These are explained in the last section of this guide.
If the VRQA determines that a registered school does not comply with one or more of the minimum standards, it may:
- impose conditions on the school’s registration
- prohibit the school from enrolling any new students
- require the school to report its non-compliance to parents
- suspend, cancel or impose conditions on the school’s registration.
VRQA: School Registration