Do you need to comply?

Yes, if your school operates, or is intending to operate an Outside School Hours Care (OSHC) service.

Conditions of compliance

As an operator of an OSHC service you must comply with the Children’s Services Act 1996 (Vic), the Children’s Service Regulations 2009 (Vic) and Child Wellbeing and Safety Act 2005 (Vic).

If you have to comply, what do you have to do?
  • You need to apply to the Victorian Government Department of Education and Training (Vic DET) for approval of your premises. Without this approval you cannot obtain a licence.
  • Complete an application for a licence and send it to the Vic DET Regional office in your area.
  • Maintain record keeping procedures including attendance, medication records, accidents, injuries, illness, trauma, staff rosters and records of programs provided.
  • Adhere to Staff requirements of child/staff ratios, minimum training requirements, qualifications, and criminal checks for non-teaching staff.


Under  A New Tax System (Family Assistance) (Administration) Act 1999 (Cth), families may be eligible for the Child Care Subsidy. This will depend on the individual circumstances of families. If a family is eligible, then your facility must meet the requirements of the Commonwealth Government.

What are the consequences if you don’t comply?

You may be in breach of the obligations under the Act, Regulations and Family Assistance law which could involve licence cancellation and sanctions imposed, including suspension of approved childcare benefits.

ISV contacts

Peter Roberts
Director, School Services
Ph. 03 9825 7211

Helen Schiele
Senior Advisor, Early Years
Ph. 03 9825 7275