Do you need to comply?

Yes, if the parents of any of your students apply to receive support from the Victorian Government under the Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund (CSEF).

CSEF has replaced the former Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA), which was discontinued at the end of 2014.

Conditions of compliance

Acceptance of the conditions of compliance is deemed to have occurred when the school makes an application for a student to receive CSEF funding through the CSEF Web System. This includes accountability to both the Victorian Government and the parents of the eligible students.

If you have to comply, what do you have to do?

In order for a school to be eligible to receive CSEF funding, the student must be attending a registered Victorian government or non-government primary or secondary school.

In addition, the student, or the parent or legal guardian of the student must, on the eligibility date:

  • be an eligible beneficiary within the meaning of the State Concessions Act 2004, that is, be the holder of a Veterans Affairs Gold Card or be an eligible Centrelink Health Care Card (HCC) or Pensioner Concession Card (PCC), or
  • be a temporary foster parent of the student, and
  • submit an application to the school before the end of Term Two.
Submitting Applications

Schools are responsible for informing parents of the availability of CSEF and for providing parents with the relevant application forms. Schools can access copies of the CSEF application forms on Vic DET’s CSEF website.

Parents/guardians are required to complete and submit the CSEF application form to their child’s school. Schools are then required to enter these details online, through the CSEF Web System.

Use of Funding

Schools are required to use the CSEF funding to meet the costs incurred by the school in eligible students accessing camps, sporting activities and excursions (including incursions) provided by the school.

  • Where the eligible student has already undertaken the activity in 2016, prior to the school receiving the CSEF payment, the school is permitted to reimburse parents for that event, or to include the CSEF amount as a credit against subsequent school fees.
  • Where a child does not undertake any eligible activities during the calendar year, or the total value of the eligible activities are less than the value of the CSEF funding, the school is permitted to carry the outstanding amount forward to the following year. The funding should still be linked to eligible activities provided to that child.
  • Where a child leaves the school during the year, the school is expected to transfer any unallocated CSEF funding to the new school. The exception to this is where the unallocated funding is ‘minimal’, and the two schools agree not to transfer the funding. In this situation, the new school is still expected to commit to provide the student with assistance to the value of the unspent amount.
  • Where a child leaves the Victorian education system, any unallocated CSEF funding would remain with the school, and should be allocated firstly towards any eligible expenses for other siblings of the child, and then for school-incurred costs associated with operating camps, sporting events and excursions for other students.
Accountability for Funding

Schools are required to communicate with all eligible families, informing them of how the school intends to use the funding to assist the student. It is also the responsibility of the school to ensure that its systems permit the tracking of CSEF payments against eligible expenses for the individual students in receipt of the funding.

Any CSEF funding paid to schools will be audited as part of the general financial auditing process.

What are the consequences if you don’t comply?

The school may be required to repay CSEF funding to the Victorian Government.

ISV contacts

Nigel Bartlett
Manager, Funding and Accountability
Ph. 03 9825 7228