Requirements under Australian Government Regulations.
Yes – under the provisions of the Australian Education Act 2013 (Cth).
Australian Government Regulations require that schools provide to parents student reports that comply with a number of criteria, as described below.
- Be given at least twice per year to the person responsible for each child
- Be easy to understand
- Include an accurate and objective assessment of the student’s progress and achievement Be confidential
- Report the student’s progress and achievement against any national standards (such as those of the Australian Curriculum)
- Report the student’s progress and achievement relative to the performance of the student’s peer group (comparative reporting)*
- Be followed by an opportunity for the child and the parents to meet with the child’s teachers to discuss all aspects of the report
- Use a A, B, C, D, E (or an equivalent scale) for all subjects studied, where each point is clearly defined against specific standards
Note: Individual parents may elect not to receive this type of reporting for their child via a written request to the school. Authorities must retain a copy of all such written requests on file. The intention of comparative performance reporting is to provide parents with an indication of the achievement of their child relative to other students in the cohort. There is no requirement to provide the comparison in a particular way.
A guideline for teachers on parent-teacher interviews is available (refer to ‘Links, resources and downloads’ below).
The requirements for student reporting are outlined in the Guide to the Australian Education Act 2013 (refer to ‘Links, resources and downloads’ below).
Independent schools receive funding from the Australian Government under the Australian Education Act 2013 (Cth) subject to the conditions which are set out in the Act. To receive funding, the school must accept the accountabilities set out by the Department of Education.
The student reporting requirements is a condition under the Act.
Director, Education Services
Ph. 03 9825 7226
Vic DET: School Policy and Reporting Guide – Reporting Student Assessment Results (please note that some of the information contained in this Guide does not apply to Independent schools)