Excursions and Camps
Advice related to the planning and conducting of excursions, incursions, camps and overseas travel.
Yes – if your school is conducting excursions, incursions, camps or overseas student travel.
Principals, teachers, school board members and others involved in school excursions, including camps and adventure activities, must anticipate the possibility of litigation following an incident or injury. They must be prepared for a detailed examination of all their actions, their planning and the curriculum role of the particular activity.
Principals, who are responsible for the conduct of all excursions, must ensure that full records are maintained and that adequate pre-excursion planning and preparation, including the preparation of students, takes place.
You should consider some or all of the following:
- Selection of venue
- Check travel advisories at the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) website before travelling overseas
- Excursion emergency management processes
- The needs of students with disabilities
- Availability of excursion documentation
- Communication during an emergency
- Parental/guardian approval
- Student medical information
- Supervision of students (excursion staff, instructors, staff-student ratios)
- Use of private motor vehicles
- Adventure activities
- Swimming and water safety programs (including emergency procedures and safety measures; staff qualifications; staff-student ratios; student experience; type of venue and activity).
The possibility of litigation if an incident or injury was to occur.
- Vic DET: School Policy and Advisory Guide – Excursions and Activities
- Vic DET: Recreational Swimming Activity Guidelines
- Vic DET: School Policy and Advisory Guide – Staffing and Supervision
- Vic DET: Schools Policy and Advisory Guide – Safety, Emergency and Risk Management
- Vic DET: Student Activity Locator (requires Edumail account)
- International SOS
- Outdoors Victoria
- Kidsafe Victoria: Child Restraint Laws
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade: Smartraveller
- Department of Health: Travel Health Information